Monday, August 24, 2009

After some opinions

Ok so I have been having a think about what I am going to do work wise and I have an idea for a business but just wanted to get some feedback from people.

So I was thinking of opening a kind of Art and Craft studio for kids up to the age of 5 1/2(so before they go to Prep), would you been interested in taking your child to something like this?

Activities would include painting,collage, making things (rockets butterflies, pirate hats etc etc), playdoh, cooking biscuits, face painting etc

I am thinking about where I would open this, there are shops just around the corner which would be perfect for this but I am not sure if it will be popular enough to start out paying rent etc.

Another option is that we have a large 6x6 shed in our backyard would you attend something like this in someones back yard or would you expect it to be at a real retail type outlet?

If the business was successful I would then move it into a shop.

How much would you pay for a service like this? Would you pay for a full term, buy a 10 session card or prefer to pay as go?

Would you expect someone who runs a business like this to have any qualifications (e.g teacher etc) I don't have any but was thinking of doing a teachers aide course.

Would you have your child's birthday party at something like this?

What sort of price would you pay for this?

I am thinking one session each morning from 9.30am or 10am for 1hr. and possibly one in the afternoon at around 2ish (but I think this could be around sleep times)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!!!!!!


Thanks

5 comments:

rach said...

OK chooky I think its a great idea.. I dunno how many people would come to it if it was in your shed though.. you gotta worry about weather, how it would effect the kiddies on a hot day in the shed etc. I dunno that I would expect you to be qualified, but I guess what difference are you to a creche teacher? So maybe you should get some sorta qualification :)

B would love it I think.. and its a great idea for birthday parties, you can have them decorate placemat sized carboard then laminate them for them to take home.. and all sorts of adult boring but kid exciting shit like that! LMAO

fiona carson said...

Hey Kim

my thoughts - sounds like fun (but messy, lol). I would prefer to pay as you go....as I'm not always available each week. wouldn't bother me to have it in someone's back yard. I don't think I would expect you to have qualifications, but I imagine you might need a blue card? Would be fun for birthday parties, but they might want you to come to them????? Maybe $15 for one child, $20 for two, or something like that?

Tiff Firth said...

My first thought was insurance. It's usually the killer to a great idea.
I would want to know how many kids to adults there would be too. If its say 10 kids and 1 adult, I'd say you'd be a superwoman and wear your red undies on the outside. I'd go with maybe 5 at tops.
Nappy changes, toileting, sleep times will all be issues depending on ages of the kids. You wouldn't want any sleeping inside your home while your out in the shed, as you wouldn't hear them wake up. In a child care center they are checked on every 10 mins and paperwork is signed to back that up. Major pain the ass if you are required to do that besides entertain other kids.

Give a good hard think about how to get out of it in the end. There must always be an out for you. Without upsetting yourself, your family or anyone else.

any chance of using the local playgroup center on the days they dont have kids there???

All tricky I know, but valid points all the same.

Hope I haven't been to frank as I dont want to rain on your brilliant idea.

Sarah said...

I think this is a great idea for little kids Kim! Some people aren't really good with "mess" so it would be good to take them somewhere where they can be messy. I think pay as you go would be good for people who cannot go everyweek - but then again I like pre paid options as well... Something to think about I guess

jodyg said...

I think it's a cool idea too Kim. I would say the same as Rach though, probably a shop front would be a better option or is there a rec centre that hires out rooms? Having said that though if your shed was air-con'd and nice and bright it could still look very business like. Would you have enough parking available though. A nine o'clock class is a good idea because people could take littlies after dropping older kids to school but I don't know about a two o'clock because as you said it would probably clash with a lot of nap times. Maybe you could do 2 one hour classes in the morning like a 9am and 11am. That way you're not tied up all day and the hour in between would give you set up/clean up time.
I'm sure you would need a blue card but I don't think qualifications would be necessary, especially if you were going to be doing paper crafting. You are published and you've probably taught classes before for scrapping anyway.
Costs wise I would probably pay $10-$15.
Good luck with it!!